Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
swimming under water? (Read 3475 times)
tammy66
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

pittsburgh,pa
swimming under water?
Jul 15th, 2010 at 2:20pm

I was wondering if there is any problems with swimming for an 8 year old with Moya Moya?  I have never heard anyone mention that swimming was a restriction.  We just got a pool from Make A Wish for Amanda's wish.  She is so happy.  She is swimming a lot and she now likes to swim under water.  It's not a whole lot but I noticed she is getting tired (which is natural after being outside in the heat and swimming) however she has mentioned the past couple of days that she didn't feel like swimming.  "I just want to relax".  Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with swimming.  She just had her surgery in April and it's amazing how well she is doing, but sometimes I wonder if she pushes herself more and doesn't tell me all the time how she is really feeling.  She has been tired of me telling her drink more or rest or don't do this and don't do that.  I have sat down with her and explained why she needs to drink and listen to her own body when she is running or doing activities.  She just wants to do what other kids are doing and she gets very upset even when her little sister may do something physical better than her.  I am so thankful that she is even able to do the things she is doing now. But knowing that she has MM is a struggle every day.
Tammy

IP Logged

Dawn
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

Re: swimming under water?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:20pm

HI!

Wow --your daughter is doing amazing since she had surgery not so long ago. My daughter has had 2 surgeries for Moyamoya and a stroke after each surgery. She is recovering well, but fatigue and hydration and managing stress remain the most important issues for her. Drinking is a huge struggle for her--the 1 to 2 litres per day, although we try smoothies, soups etc.

My daughter's level of fatigue was huge until 12 mos post surgery. Sometimes, she wasn't even aware of how tired she was--really pushed herself, which  admired, as she didn't want to give in to this disease--but it's all about balance........and it's hard to get my daughter who is 9 now to keep that balance!!!

Best of luck!!

Dawn

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 3:42am

Hi Tammy

Surgeries in April and already very active, that is amazing. I don't think it's the swimming itself that's a problem, I think she is possibly pushing herself a bit too much too soon. The pressure associated with normal swimming in a pool isn't great enough to have an effect. I believe it's a problem when a moyamoyaer snorkels or deap sea dives, then the pressure can constrict arteries.

I think it's a good thing that she takes it easy for awhile and, in fact, she's doing exactly what you've asked her to do: listening to her body.

Although Luca is a lot younger than Amanda and Dawns daughter, I completely agree with Dawn on the fact that it took Luca a full year to really hit her stride again.

Take care and stay strong
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

Lmom
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:14pm

Tammy,

My daughter was 8 when she had her surgeries also (May and June of 09) and I would agree with everyone else that it really took a whole year for Lina to really get over the fatigue.  I actually didn't believe it would take a whole year! Sounds like your daughter is doing great and so nice to have a pool.  We were not told of any swimming restrictions once the stitches were all dissolved. 

IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:10pm

Tammy,
I was 22 when i had my surgery. It took me a year to "fully" recover. We will never get all the way back to normal but we will get close. We want to be able to push ourselfs to the limits because we are feeling inadequate or "there is something wrong with me" or "i will never be normal". These feeling of watching others do what you used to be able to do with ease is hard on the physci. My husband is my watchdog. "now Becky don't forget to keep hydrated" now Becky let me know if you need to rest or go home" It is great to have someone watching out for us but somethings it is a bit annoying. We are trying to get our independence back to feel like we can do anything.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing but maybe with less reminders. Carefully let Ammanda push the boundary to the limit  but stop her if you see she is in real distress. Let her push herself to almost exhaustion then talk to her and say "this is what it feels like when you push yourself to hard" this will teach her the limits of her new boundaries. Remind her she is normal but now she has new limits to explore. let her know there is nothing wrong with not being able to do something as well as she could before, she will find a different and maybe better way of doing things.

Your an amazing Mom. Stay strong!
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 4:32pm

My 7 y/o daughter had her surgeries in Oct09.  This summer, after 5 years of swimming "lessons" she has finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together and learned to swim!  So, she has been in the pool this summer more than ever, wearing a mask, snorkeling (in the pool) and swimming underwater, with no known issues.  It is so wonderful to see her feeling well enough to do things like this & have fun. 

Adequate hydration is our biggest challenge, especially with the different camps she's attending this summer (YMCA, girl scouts & dance).  Most of the camp directors just look at me like I'm some kind of crazy mom when I explain that she has to be super-hydrated due to her medical issues, so I've started explaining it in terms of comparison to a diabetic.  "You can't/wouldn't ignore the insulin needs of a child w/diabetes, so you can't/won't ignore the hydration needs of my child, who happens to have MM."  This usually seems to make it click for them - then the trick is to convince the counselors that they must supervise the hydration - that a 7 y/o can't be responsible for it herself.   Smiley

Cheers,

Jenn

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 2:40am

yunnanababy wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 4:32pm:
This summer, after 5 years of swimming "lessons" she has finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together and learned to swim!

Well done Ruby. My son is just on the cusp of putting that same puzzle together and, I must say, it's a huge worry out the way.

Take care
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

yunnanababy
Experienced Poster

My daughter had her surgeries
in October 2009

Indianapolis, IN  USA
Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 12:42pm

Kudos to your son too, Mark!  Yes, I have to say it is a huge relief that she can swim.  Little sis learning to swim before big sis (who is 2 years older) was also a great motivator for big sis.  Once Ruby had it, Lily was also swimming within a couple of weeks.  Gotta love that sibling rivalry!

Mom to an 9.5 y/o ballerina/guitar player with MMD & an 11.5 y/o gymnast/cross country runner/swimmer!
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rubymaejingli
WWW 1422039771&ref=profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge