Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
follow up mri question? (Read 3170 times)
tammy66
New Poster

I Love MM.com!

pittsburgh,pa
follow up mri question?
Jul 14th, 2010 at 10:26pm

I need to make the follow up MRI/MRA appointment for Amanda for November.  She had her surgery (bilateral pial synangiosis) in Boston by DR. Scott and DR. Smith.  We see a DR. Varma here as her Neurologist.  She had her 1month check up with him, and his nurse asked us to contact Dr. Scott regarding how to order the MRI/MRA with or without contrast.  So I emailed Dr. Scott and he said in Boston their protocol is doing it without contrast and for us to contact the facility to ask what their protocol is.  I didn't want to sound stupid to him, but isn't it better to have contrast with the MRI and don't they use dimox with the MRA? Amanda had her first MRI at childrens in pittsburgh (same place we will be going to) and it was originally ordered without contrast and that 1hr mri turned into 3hours, when they found something and had to then use contrast and then she had to have the mra.  I don't want to have to put her through being stuck, but I don't want this mri to turn into something like the first time.  I thought it would be with contrast.  I havn't called them yet but I feel silly asking because I would think their going to tell me they do it however the doctor orders it.
Any suggestions?

IP Logged

STrantas
MM.com Benefactor

MoyaMoya Survivor Since

Philadelphia, USA, usa, 490, 122, PA, Pennsylvania
Re: follow up mri question?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:18am

My experience....they do the MRI with AND without contrast (without first!).

Dr. Scott doesn't used Diamox - I've never had that at all - even through my diagnostic process which was here in Philly.

-Shari

A smile is contagious...start an epidemic!
Dr. Scott did my surgeries - 12/29/03 and 1/5/04
STrantas http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/strantas?ref=p STrantas  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 1:09pm

In my experence (not with Dr.Scott),  he had me have the MRA 6 months after my surgery. I am allergic to sulfa so they used and alternitive dye. i do not recall the name of it. I was told that the dye was necessacary to see the veins/bloodflow better.

From my understanding the "A" stands for angio in MRA. It is done like the MRI but uses the dye they use in an angiogram. The MRA is used when the person requests not to have an angiogram done since they go through your femeral arety and have lifting restrictions for a week after it.

Please correct me if i am wrong on my medical details.
Hope this helps,
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Little Luca
Senior Poster

Whatever it takes

Somerset West, South Africa
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 4:16am

Hi Tammy

For Luca's 6 month checkup, her surgeon in the UK requested we do a SPECT, with and without diamox. I'm not sure if a SPECT scan is the same as a MRI/MRA, but they used the same machine. The scans are supposed to be done a day apart, without dye first. It's my understanding (open to correction) that the diamox scan gives the doctors the ability to measure the amount of blood flowing through a particular area and give it a percentage, wheras without the dye they are only able to tell if it is restricted or not.

Good thread Tammy, I'm interested to hear from others who perhaps know a little more.

Take care all
Mark (Luca's Dad)

1st stroke in September 2008, age 10 months
Bi-lateral mm diagnosis
2nd stroke in November 2008, age 1 year old
Left side surgery in December 2008
13 years on now
Doing just great!

IP Logged

joshandmom9770
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 6:44am

i know mri/mra .....the mra .....stands for arteries ..... i have heard of the spect but do not know a whole lot about it.

IP Logged

Skay5709
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 10:30pm

STrantas wrote on Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:18am:
My experience....they do the MRI with AND without contrast (without first!).

Dr. Scott doesn't used Diamox - I've never had that at all - even through my diagnostic process which was here in Philly.

-Shari

IP Logged

Skay5709
Junior Poster

I Love MM.com!

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 10:39pm

I cannot have an MRI or MIA because I have a defibrillator. That is why I had a Spect scan. It is a two day scan as Mark say's.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge