Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Moyamoya.com

NEW search box below... Search Moyamoya.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday ListDonate  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roller Coasters???? (Read 2818 times)
twinsmom
Experienced Poster

16 year old twins with
MM

hollis, USA, NH, New_Hampshire
Roller Coasters????
Jun 15th, 2010 at 6:01pm

Hello, MM Family!!! Smiley

Has anyone been told that they should not ride roller coasters with MM? 

My girls are going on the 8th grade trip to an amusement park this Friday, and I have vague memories of someone mentioning roller coasters here in the past.

If you were told not to ride them, was it ALL roller coasters, or only certain ones?  HELP!!

Thanks in advance!!

Kristen

"Come to the edge."   "We can't.  We're afraid."   "Come to the edge."  "We can't.  We will fall!"  "Come to the edge."  And they came.  And he pushed them.   And they flew.   by Guillaume Apollinaire

IP Logged

gotchlorine
Old-Time Poster

Our daughter, Tara, lives
with MM

San Jose, USA, usa, 24, 158, CA, California
Re: Roller Coasters????
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 6:06pm

Kristen,

Copied from Dr. Steinberg's recommendations:

"We recommend avoiding high speed roller coasters and sky diving. Care must be taken to avoid graft compression from face masks during snorkeling and SCUBA diving. Also, blood donation is not recommended for patients who have had surgical revascularization procedures for moyamoya. Patients should always stay well hydrated, drinking between 2-3 liters of non-caffeinated beverages each day. "

Speaking for Tara, not news she was happy about, particularly the sky diving part!  Guess it is what it is, though, huh?

Smiley Jill

sca4gold2002  
IP Logged

twinsmom
Experienced Poster

16 year old twins with
MM

hollis, USA, NH, New_Hampshire
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 6:09pm

Oh, Jill, I can't imagine the girls are going to love me for this one.   Angry

BTW, is there such a creature as a non - high speed roller coaster?????

Thanks for your help, my friend!!

"Come to the edge."   "We can't.  We're afraid."   "Come to the edge."  "We can't.  We will fall!"  "Come to the edge."  And they came.  And he pushed them.   And they flew.   by Guillaume Apollinaire

IP Logged

twin1
Junior Poster

My 16 year old twin and
I both have MoyaMoya!!

Brookline, NH, USA,
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 6:15pm

BTW.. im not so thrilled about that!!Sad HAHAHA LOL!!! love you mommy Smiley

moyamoyagirl21  
IP Logged

Becky
Old-Time Poster

Stroke10/03, Diagnosed6/04,
Unilateral Surgery9/04

Minneapolis, USA, usa, 303, 84, MN, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2010 at 1:01pm

i was a roller coaster junkie.  Then one time on a trip to Disney world and Universal studios we were able to walk onto ride and ride some 2x with out leaving the car then move on to the next one. I started to get mild headaches. When I got back from the trip my headaches were really bad. A week later when the migraines were at their peak I went to my family practice doc who prescribed me a triptan (relpax) and I had a stroke 4 hours after taken the medication. i don't know if I can put all the blame on the roller coasters.

My neurologist said "he recommends extreme caution for the roller coaster and Snorkeling, and NO to SCUBA, Sky Diving."

The creature most like a non-high speed roller coaster is WATERSLIDES!!! Less G-forces and you have more control. I asked about the WaterCoster rides like Splash Mt in Disney and that was fine since less g-forces.

I risked riding one recently (5 years post op) and I got a headache on a mild coaster (white rails at MN Valley Fair) so i will not attempt to ride a coaster again.
Smiley
Becky

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. And sometimes leaves a cool looking scar.     STA-MCA bypass and EMS Surgeries done at same time at the Mayo clinic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Moyamoya.com Forum » Powered by YaBB 2.4!
YaBB © 2000-2009. All Rights Reserved.

©2003-2018 Web Vision Enterprises LLC All Rights Reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises LLC and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.

You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge